OCULUS corporate history 1895 - today

  • 1895 Alois Mager establishes the "A. Mager Special Factory for Ophthalmological Instruments" in Berlin. Ophthalmoscopes, Javal-Ophthalmometers and the Försterperimeter are the company's first products.
  • 1922 Wilhelm Mager (Alois' son) joins the company. Wilhelm serves as the managing director from 1924 until 1956.
  • 1932 The company A. Mager changes its name to OCULUS GmbH.
  • After World War II 1947 the company moves from East-Berlin to Wetzlar-Dutenhofen. Engineer Kurt Kirchhübel takes over as the next managing partner in 1947 and serves until 1986. Since 1947 OCULUS has educated 253 apprentices as industry mechanics, merchants, opticians, tracers, toolmakers and electronics technicians.
  • 1963, 1967, 1983, 1993-94 and 2008 extensive modernization and expansive construction is carried out at the company headquarters. The new dispatch, warehouse, assembly and service department is finished in 1999. 2003 the plating department, paint shop and the refraction units assembly move to their new premises.
  • 1985 exclusive contracts are signed with Nidek, Japan, for the sale, marketing and service of Nidek products in Germany.
  • 1992 OCULUS establishes subsidiaries in Czech Republic, Slovakia and Poland.
  • 1999 The U.S. subsidiary, OCULUS Inc., is found in Seattle, WA.
  • 2007 OCULUS opens a subsidiary in Hong Kong.
  • 2009 On July 4th, the new OCULUS main plant is completed after two years of construction.
  • 2011 OCULUS opens a subsidiary in Madrid, Spain.
  • 2012 OCULUS Surgical, Inc. is founded. The subsidiary takes the popular SDI®/BIOM® line direct in the US market.
  • 2013 OCULUS in Wetzlar starts comprehensive building work for a state of the art warehouse and extended R&D facilities.
  • 2015 At OCULUS headquarters, extensive construction work to create a high-rack warehouse, expand the distribution area and provide additional space for research and development as well as for the service department, are completed.